Company: Newark Board of Education
Posted on: May 25, 2023
Non Instructional - All Titles/Custodian
Various Newark Board of Education Locations
NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION
HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES
765 BROAD STREET, NEWARK, NEW JERSEY 07102
ROGER LEN, SUPERINTENDENT
American History High School - Day & Night
Ann Street School - Day
Benjamin Franklin School - Night
Cleveland Elementary School - Night
Dr. E. Alma Flagg School - Day
Elliott Street School - Night
Facilities - Harold Wilson - Night
Harriet Tubman School - Night
Hawthorne Avenue School - Night
Lafayette Street School - Night
N.J. Regional Day - Night
Oliver Street School - Night
South 17th Street School - Night
South Street School - Night
Wilson Avenue School - Day & Night
Newark School of Data Science & Information Technology - Day
(Pending availability of funds and Board of Education approval)
The Superintendent invites qualified and interested persons to apply for the position of Custodian at the various locations.
This title is governed by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission; meaning that a candidate for the position will be placed as a provisional employee. At a later date the candidate will be required to take an examination administered by the Civil Service Commission. Candidates must score and rank high enough on this examination in order to remain in the position as a permanent employee.
DEFINITION: Under direction, supervises and works with custodial (janitorial) personnel engaged in cleaning and maintenance of a school building and grounds; does other related duties as required. The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
NOTE: The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
1. Graduation from High School or Vocational School or possession of an approved High School Equivalent Certificate.
2. Two (2) years of experience in work involving the heating, inspection, cleaning, and maintenance of furniture, fixtures, offices and buildings, and the reconditioning, care, and maintenance of grounds.
3. Appointees must possess a current, valid Black Seal Boiler Operator License of the appropriate type (high or low pressure) issued by the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development.
4. Applicants will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform essential duties of the position.
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Inspects, analyzes, and determines the cleaning work to be done and materials needed.
2. Establishes, maintains, and develops effective work plans for subordinates.
3. Supervises and takes the lead in the cleaning, maintenance, and care of buildings and grounds.
4. Supervises and takes the lead in the cleaning and maintenance of desks, chairs, rugs, lighting fixtures, windows, and other furniture and fixtures.
5. Supervises and takes the lead in sweeping, washing, and sanding floors and in applying wax and polish to wooden, linoleum, and composition floors.
6. Supervises and takes the lead in the application of paint remover and turpentine or other cleaning agents to furniture.
7. Supervises and takes the lead in sanding rough and discolored areas, and in applying linseed oil, varnish, stain, lacquer, enamel, and paint to furniture.
8. Supervises and takes the lead in the reconditioning, care, and maintenance of grounds and parking areas.
9. Supervises and takes the lead in operation of heating and ventilating equipment.
10. Supervises the work of elevator operators.
11. Inspects buildings and grounds to note significant conditions and to ensure that needed work is done.
12. Obtains, stores, safeguards, distributes, and supervises the use of equipment, materials, and supplies.
13. Establishes and maintains records of personnel, equipment, materials, supplies, work completed, and time spent.
14. Reports needed repairs to the authorities.
15. Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
1. Knowledge of problems, procedures, and operations involved in inspecting, analyzing, and planning building and ground maintenance and heating and ventilating work to be done.
2. Knowledge of methods used in establishing, maintaining, and developing effective work procedures to be followed in obtaining, storing, safeguarding, distributing, and supervising the use of equipment, materials, and supplies.
3. Knowledge of procedures to be followed in establishing and maintaining records and files of personnel, equipment, materials, supplies, work completed, time spent, and cost.
4. Ability to analyze building, heating, and ground maintenance problems.
5. Ability to organize assigned work and develop effective work methods.
6. Ability to give assignments and instructions.
7. Ability to associate with children and school staff.
8. Ability to learn to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
9. Ability to read, write, speak, understand, or communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
10. Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
REPORTS TO: PRINCIPAL/SUPERVISOR OF CUSTODIANS
SALARY, EMPLOYMENT PERIOD AND UNION AFFILIATION
1. Salary: Tier 1 - $51,907 - $75,520
*Tier 2 - $42,800 - $58,645
*Employees hired on or after September 1, 2008 shall be hired on the Tier 2 salary scale.
2. Employment Period: Twelve (12) Month
3. Union Affiliation: Local 68
HOW TO APPLY
Newark Board of Education only accepts electronic applications.
OPENING AND CLOSING DATE
Opening Date: May 5, 2023
Closing Date: May 18, 2023 or until filled
THE NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION
IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Keywords: Newark Board of Education, Newark , Custodian (NBOE), Other , Newark, New Jersey
here to apply!