Chair, Department of Data Science
Company: New Jersey Institute of Technology
Posted on: March 16, 2023
Chair, Department of Data Science
Dean, Ying Wu College of Computing
The Department of Data Science at New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) invites applications for the position of Department Chair. The successful candidate should demonstrate academic leadership skills necessary to create the conditions for faculty and student development and encourage interdisciplinary research across the university as well as with other national and international partners. The chair is expected to play an active role in capitalizing on the department's strengths to elevate the department's visibility and recognition. The Department of Data Science is a new department launched in Fall 2021 with 9 faculty members and plans to grow significantly over the next five years. The department includes faculty at all levels, including one Distinguished Professor. The faculty in the department have a strong track record of grant funding from NSF, NIH, DoD, DOE, and industry. The department faculty develop foundational data science methods and conduct research to solve real-world grand challenges that leverage data science in application areas such as Cybersecurity, FinTech, Health Informatics, Urban Sustainability, and Solar Terrestrial Research, and play a key role in the NJIT Institute for Data Science, with its centers for Big Data, Cybersecurity Research, Medical Informatics, and AI Research. The department has strong connections with local industry and works closely with many companies through student Capstone projects, internships, co-ops, and joint R&D projects. Data Science participates, aside of the Computer Science Department and the Informatics Department, in the Ying Wu College of Computing (YWCC). The College comprises 34% of the NJIT enrollment, educating more than 4,100 students in computing disciplines, and graduating more than 1000 computing professionals every year. As such, NJIT is the largest generator of computing talent in the tri-state (NY, NJ, CT) area. The College has recently expanded its graduate programs, including those in Data Science, to Jersey City, just across the Hudson River from the financial district of Lower Manhattan in New York City, where it serves the many working professionals in that region.
- Provide leadership for the Department in curriculum, academic programs, student advisement and activities, and faculty intellectual and professional development.
- Act as a liaison between the Department and the University, and encourage collaboration with industry and government agencies.
- Recommend new faculty appointments upon the recommendation of the department Promotion and Tenure Committee and Faculty Search Committee.
- Oversee the planning of teaching schedules and the allocation of department faculty release time.
- Candidates must have a Ph.D. in computing or a related discipline with a demonstrated track record of scholarly accomplishments commensurate with the appointment at the rank of Full Professor, including a sustained record of publication in top venues, attracting funding, and mentoring students.
- The ideal candidate must demonstrate administrative leadership as well as the ability to recruit, mentor, and retain diverse research-intensive faculty, maintain a collegial and ethical environment, and work with faculty and students of diverse backgrounds.
- International candidates are especially welcome.
- At the university's discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be exempted where the candidate can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the university, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
Special Instructions to
- To apply for the position, please submit your application materials (CV, cover letter, research statement, teaching statement, diversity statement, and the contact information for at least five references) to https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/22917.
- Applications must be received by December 31, 2022, to receive full consideration. However, applications are welcome until the position is filled.
Apply NowShare Save Job
Keywords: New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark , Chair, Department of Data Science, Other , Newark, New Jersey
here to apply!