Company: New Jersey Institute of Technology
Posted on: March 16, 2023
The position of Program Counselor (Hourly) for Middle and/or High School means an overall commitment to the policies and procedures of the New Jersey GEAR UP/College Bound program. Acceptance of this position carries certain specific responsibilities in addition to those outlined in the general job description.
This requisition represents 4-5 Program Counselors depending on hours available and need.
The program operates year-round during the Academic Year (fall and spring) and Summer Sessions (July-Mid August). Fall and Spring Sessions are Monday thru Thursday (Occasional Fridays) from 8:00 am until 2:00pm and/or 3:00pm until 5:00pm. Saturday Sessions are 20 sessions during the Academic Year from 8:00 am to 3:00 p.m. Note: Academic Year weekday school hours are adjusted as needed per school.
Summer Session is currently up to six (6) weeks, Monday thru Thursday, from 8:30am until 3:00 pm with occasional Saturday events.
1. Conducts group dynamics sessions of a minimum of twice per semester at their school in collaboration with mentors on subjects outlined in the Personal Education Plan (PEP) document. The session must be properly recorded as directed by the program.
2. Collects and submits any information (report cards, standardized tests, subsidized lunch, etc.) as requested by the program.
3. Communicates any policy changes that may impact services being offered to the students at their school.
4. Provides scope and sequence and lesson plans for group dynamic sessions as prescribed by the student Personal Education Plan (PEP) document.
5. Be responsible for completing and reviewing PEPs with program participants.
6. Illicit parental support through general and/or specific informative correspondence.
7. Assists in the recruitment of prospective students.
8. Maintains strong relationships with target schools.
9. Collects and prepare all data requested by funding agent/director of the program..
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Establishes and follows through on a systematic course of action for self or others to assure accomplishment of a specific objective.
2. Determines priorities and allocates time and resources effectively producing desired results at the level expected for the position.
1. A Bachelor's degree is required
2. Work experience with urban youth preferred.
3. Familiarity with students from NJGU/CB target schools would be helpful.
School-based counselor must have access to target schools, i.e., current target school teacher or counselor. Current target school list includes the following Newark Board of Education Schools: Barringer High School, Central High School, East Side High School, Weequahic High School, Belmont Runyon, Hawkins Street School, Lafayette Street School, Rafael Hernandez School, Ridge Street School, Sussex Avenue School, and Wilson Avenue School. School-based counselor could also assist with non-target schools students as needed.
1. Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
2. School counseling or teaching Certificate in counseling preferred.
Apply NowShare Save Job
Keywords: New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark , Program/School-Based Counselor, Other , Newark, New Jersey
here to apply!