Workers Compensation Claim Representative Trainee
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: June 23, 2022
Who Are We?Taking care of our customers, our communities and
each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this
commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best
property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join
us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives
on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do
it.Compensation OverviewThe annual base salary range provided for
this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad
range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual
salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors,
including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the
skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the
candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our
comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also
eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.Salary
Range$43,600.00 - $71,900.00Target Openings2What Is the
Opportunity?This is an entry level position that requires
satisfactory completion of required training to advance to a
Workers' Compensation claim professional position. This position is
intended to develop skills for investigating, evaluating,
negotiating and resolving claims on losses of lesser value and
complexity. Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim
life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation,
reserving, negotiation and resolution) including maintaining full
compliance with internal and external quality standards and state
specific regulations. As part of the hiring process, this position
requires the completion of an online pre-employment assessment.
Further information regarding the assessment including an
accommodation process, if needed, will be provided at such time as
your candidacy is deemed appropriate for further consideration.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to
#LI-HybridWhat Will You Do?
- Completes required training program which includes the overall
instruction, exposure, and preparation for employees to progress to
the next level position. It is a mix of online, virtual, classroom,
and on-the-job training. The training may require travel.
- The on the job training includes practice and execution and
coaching on the following core assignments:
- Conduct investigations, including, but not limited to assessing
policy coverage, investigation of non-questionable/questionable
claims, contacting insureds, injured workers, medical providers,
and other parties in a timely manner to determine
- Proactively manage inventory with documented plans of action
and emphasis on file quality and data integrity to ensure timely
and appropriate resolution or reassignment.
- Achieve a positive end result by returning injured party to
work and coordinating the appropriate medical treatment in
collaboration with internal nurse resources where appropriate.
Manage, resolve or reassign those claims where pre-injury return to
work is unlikely.
- Establish and update reserves to reflect claim exposure and
document rationale. Identify exposures and establish appropriate
reserves. Apply knowledge to determine causal relatedness of
- Collaborate with internal nurse resources (Medical Case
Manager) in order to integrate the delivery of medical services
into the overall claim strategy.
- Complete required letters and state forms and any other
required documents as required. Prepare necessary letters and state
filings within statutory limits.
- Determine and actively develop ongoing strategic plans for
resolution as required. Develop strategies to manage losses
involving issues of statutory benefit entitlement, medical
diagnoses, Medicare Set Aside to achieve resolution through the
best possible outcome. Work in collaboration with specialty
resources (i.e. medical and legal) to proactively pursue claim
- Pursue all offset opportunities, including apportionment,
contribution and subrogation. Evaluate claims for potential
- Effectively manage litigation to drive files to an optimal
outcome, including resolution of benefits. Understand and apply
Medicare Set Asides and allocations.
- Negotiate settlement of claims within designated authority.
Evaluate and document a detailed settlement analysis, value and
range. Refer claims beyond authority as appropriate based on
exposure and established guidelines. May use structured
settlement/annuity as appropriate for the jurisdiction.
- Participate in Telephonic and/or onsite File Reviews.
- Respond to inquiries - verbal and written.
- Keeping injured worker apprised of claim status.
- Communicate and complete denials on medical and indemnity
- In order to perform the essential functions of this job,
acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required
to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally,
license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job
and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated.
- In order to progress to Claim Representative, a Trainee must
demonstrate proficiency in the skills outlined above. Proficiency
will be verified by appropriate management, according to
- Perform other duties as assigned.What Will Our Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor's Degree preferred or a minimum of 2 years of work OR
customer service related experience preferred.
- Demonstrated ownership attitude and customer centric response
to all assigned tasks - Basic
- Verbal and written communication skills -Intermediate
- Attention to detail ensuring accuracy - Basic
- Ability to work in a high volume, fast paced environment
managing multiple priorities - Basic
- Analytical Thinking - Basic
- Judgment/ Decision Making - BasicWhat is a Must Have?
- High School Diploma or GED and one year of customer service
experience OR Bachelor's Degree required.What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members -
including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible
for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions
dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to
an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in
the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment
toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual
contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a
Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of
20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised
of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness
goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to
professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources
to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're
eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the
communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved.
Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that
enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.Employment
PracticesTravelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the
unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our
organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.To learn more about our
comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Newark , Workers Compensation Claim Representative Trainee, Other , Morristown, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!