Principal Data Scientist
Location: Basking Ridge
Posted on: January 13, 2022
Job # 577356
When you join Verizon
Verizon is one of the worlds leading providers of technology and
communications services, transforming the way we connect across the
globe. Were a diverse network of people driven by our shared
ambition to shape a better future. Here, we have the ability to
learn and grow at the speed of technology, and the space to create
within every role. Together, we are moving the world forward - and
you can too. Dream it. Build it. Do it here.
What Youll Be Doing...
As a Principal Data Scientist, youll use deep technical expertise
in data science, forecasting and optimization methods and
experience with implementation of AI in commercial applications.
You will focus on developing and delivering machine learning and
time series models and optimization solutions that drive business
forecast, workforce optimization, operation efficiency and business
Youll work closely with the business partners and the entire data
scientist community at Verizon in proactively designing and
developing AI capabilities. These AI capabilities will include
predictive, prescriptive and adaptive applications for all
predictions and inferences at Verizon. Models will typically get
implemented on premise, in cloud and/or on the edge and in both
real-time and batch mode depending upon the business
At Verizon, we are on a multi-year journey to industrialize our
data science and AI capabilities. Very simply, this means that AI
will fuel all decisions and business processes across the company.
At hundred and thirty billion dollars plus in annual revenue, this
is a pioneering opportunity to design and shape AI at scale in the
Telco industry. With our leadership in bringing 5G network
nationwide, the opportunity for AI will only grow exponentially in
going from enabling billions of predictions to possibly trillions
of predictions that are automated and real-time. Therefore, it will
be critical that you possess previous experience in the development
and implementation of data science models and forecasting and
- Partner with key business stakeholders to develop AI strategy
and roadmap and develop and execute plans to deliver business
- Develop the next generation of AI that drives innovation,
accurate business forecasting, lower operating expenses and
increased efficiency, and business growth.
- Independently design, develop, and deliver AI solutions from
- Operate as an expert within Verizon and serve as trusted
advisor to our business partners.
- Stay informed on the latest advancements in AI and technology
space, finding ways to deliver value by applying and customizing
these to our specific problem space.
- Help establish best practices and governance routines to ensure
adherence to model management policies, peer reviews, and
compliance to our policy standards for privacy, ethics, and
- Bring relevant data science techniques, algorithms, and tools
to your team and develop tools for accelerating AI
- Mentor and coach junior data scientists in their career
development and technical knowledge and skills.
- Help attract, recruit and retain top data science and AI talent
and build a diverse team with an inclusive culture.
What Were Looking For...
You are a master at analyzing big data. You thrive in an
environment where enormous volumes of data are generated at rapid
speed. Youre a creative problem solver who loves to explore, and
uncover the issues. You are decisive. You are phenomenal at
influencing up, down, and across groups, and you take satisfaction
in mentoring others. Communicating what youve uncovered in a way
that can be easily understood by others is one of your
Youll Need To Have
- In this hybrid role, you'll have a defined work location that
includes work from home and assigned office days set by your
- A Bachelors degree or four or more years of work
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.Coding experience
with demonstrated expertise in Python, java, R, etc.
- Expert level knowledge of AI/ML models, time series analysis,
and optimization techniques.
- Experience developing models and algorithms independently,
writing your own code, developing strategy for algorithmic
experimentation, and deploying in production.
- Experience with both batch and streaming models in
- Experience with Hadoop, AWS, GCP, or other distributed compute
- Knowledge of data structures, data modeling and software
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Mathematics,
Operation Research or similar field.
- Ability to explain both the code and the underlying math used
- Communication skills, critical thinking, and strategic thinking
skills above and beyond the technical knowledge and commercial
- Cross-functional collaboration skills.
- Outstanding analytical and problem solving skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our
employees' differences, including race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age,
disability, and Veteran status. At Verizon, we know that diversity
makes us stronger. We are committed to a collaborative, inclusive
environment that encourages authenticity and fosters a sense of
belonging. We strive for everyone to feel valued, connected, and
empowered to reach their potential and contribute their best. Check
out our diversity and inclusion page to learn more.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
Verizon requires new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Verizon provides reasonable accommodations consistent with legal
requirements (e.g., for medical or religious reasons).
Job Family: TEC
Business Unit: COMMNby Jobble
Keywords: Verizon, Newark , Principal Data Scientist, Other , Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!