Managing Director, Head of Data Strategy and Architecture
Company: A.M. Best
Posted on: June 12, 2021
- The Managing Director, Head of Data Strategy and Architecture
will be responsible for building out a new centralized data
architecture that stores all company data, ingests data from all
the incoming data sources and becomes the golden source of data
across the organization. The position will play a key role in
designing and shaping the company's overarching data strategy
Develop a comprehensive data strategy that evidences a thorough
understanding of the insurance industry and rating agency concerns
and provides an enterprise-wide data governance and control
- Provide Architectural leadership and vision for AM Best Data
Platform by developing a solid understanding across the business
and design an enterprise-wide data model.
- Define data architecture standards and structures
- Collaborate with our Consultants as part of the evolution in a
global effort to improve existing fragmented and legacy database.
Assess, advise and improve our technology and data capabilities,
helping to identify solutions to issues as appropriate.
- Work with internal stakeholders, including our quantitative
analysis team, and consultants to identify technology and/or data
strategy goals and objectives, including technology
recommendations, roadmaps associated with technology and data
- Develop, present and explain the value and vision of proposed
architectures and solutions to a wide range of audience.
- Build processes and tools to maintain high data availability,
quality and maintainability.
- Oversee and sign off key architecture artifacts in the
- Play an active role in leading the discussion and planning for
future innovation and technology solutions.
- Articulate technology solutions as well as explain the
competitive advantages of various technology alternatives.
Oversee the collection, storage, management, quality and
protection of data on an ongoing daily basis.
- Increase data transparency and accessibility to users,
facilitate self-service data access.
- Lead, motivate and manage the global data management team,
ensuring the team has the requisite skills requirements and that
emerging skills needs are appropriately identified and
- Lead and facilitate initiatives to improve the way AM Best
maximizes opportunities provided by data, such as effective data
management and movement, data warehousing and reporting.
Develop and implement an enterprise-wide data governance and
control framework based on business objectives and values.
- Design and implement data governance organizational
capabilities (steering committee, data councils, etc.), identifying
roles (e.g. data owners, stewards, etc.) and defining
- Establish data governance policies and procedures, and ensure
adherence to those policies throughout the Data Lifecycle including
aspects of: creation, capture, storage, movement, maintenance,
usage, archive and destruction.
- Define indicators of performance and quality metrics and ensure
compliance with data related policies, standards, roles and
responsibilities, and adoption requirements.
- Work closely with senior management on data concerns and
effectively communicate the status, value and importance of data
controls and processes at AM Best to internal and external
- Ensure data governance and compliance within projects, managing
effective transition from project to the business as usual
- Have an awareness of the various data protection legislation
across the geographies that AM Best operate in.
- Held a Director/Head of role within Data Architecture, Strategy
or Governance in an enterprise level business
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field, Master's Degree
- 10 plus years' experience in information technology designing,
implementing and/or supporting analytic platforms, data warehouse,
data hub and/or Business Intelligence
- TOGAF (The Open Group Architecture Framework) certified
- Strong leadership experience managing large teams ideally
across multiple geographies
- Experience working with insurance industry financial data and a
fundamental understanding of insurance industry business models and
strategic / operational concerns
- Experience in designing or delivering large-scale data
migrations to the cloud from legacy technology
- Experience designing complex data architectures across multiple
geographies with regulated data
- Solid experience across all areas of data governance
- Solid experience working with cloud technologies
(AWS/Azure/GCP) Excellent understanding of available data warehouse
and database technology to be able to select the best fit tools and
technology for AM Best Vendor selection experience Experience in
delivering solutions working with Consultants Hands on data
architecture design experience Experience in logical, physical and
conceptual data modeling Enterprise level data architecture
experience Ability to operate at the most senior level of the
organization while still being able to interact with key technology
staff Strong leadership skills and ability to develop more junior
staff Experience in taking solutions to board level and being able
to explain costs/benefits to non-technical stakeholders Ability to
influence at all levels Strong matrix management experience
Experience in working with international stakeholders
Keywords: A.M. Best, Newark , Managing Director, Head of Data Strategy and Architecture, Other , Oldwick, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!