Production Leader - Hackettstown (Hackettstown, NJ, US, 07840)
Posted on: June 7, 2021
A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there's more to being
in business than just making a profit. That's the Mars philosophy.
And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An
opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for
those around you and for the planet. What you get here is
challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a
great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side
to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to
do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a
great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and
Because it's never just about a single person, a single project
or a single brand. It's about how you can grab everything that's
within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain.
It's about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure
because the promise of success means we'll all be a little better
off. It's that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a
special place to work. And why working here is always about more
than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of
history making diverse products and offering services for people
and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the
company is a global business that produces some of the world's
best-loved brands: M&M's, SNICKERS, TWIX, MILKY WAY, DOVE,
PEDIGREE, ROYAL CANIN, WHISKAS, EXTRA, ORBIT, 5, SKITTLES, UNCLE
BEN'S, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA. Mars also provides veterinary
health services that include BANFIELD Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl,
VCA and Pet Partners. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in
more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles - Quality,
Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom - inspire its
more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners
and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
We are seeking a Production Leader for our Mars Wrigley site in
Hackettstown, NJ. This position works 4 days on, 4 days off. You
will work two 12-hour shifts on days (7 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.), work two
12-hour shifts on nights (7 p.m. - 7:30 a.m.) and then have four
The Production Leader is a shift-based, front-line operations
people leader who efficiently improves Quality, Human Safety, and
Product Cost Conversion while Engaging and Developing talent. The
Production Leaders are responsible for delivering operational
targets and leading teams of, on average, 15 production associates.
The Production Leader drives safety, quality, continuous
improvement, performance management, associate development, team
engagement and operating results for their assigned area through
shift-based leadership of a line or area that exists within a
larger Value Stream organization. This manager will coordinate the
short-term activities of the area within established guidelines and
standards to produce the highest quality, lowest cost product in
the safest and most efficient manner, while also partnering with
the other members of the 24-hour Area Leadership Team to deliver
area continuous improvement and Mars Supply Excellence (MSE)
program implementation. The Production Leader is responsible for
building an effective team on his/her shift and in his/her area of
responsibility and for managing the training strategy for both the
individual associates and the team. This manager will implement and
enforce established policy, as well as area and organizational
What would be your key responsibilities?
- Conversion - Manage the efforts of operating teams of a multi-
line, area or technology on one shift in the efficient conversion
of materials into quality products in a safe, secure and sanitary
manner within the product design specifications.
- Change Agent - Implement changes in methods, equipment, systems
and organization, as needed, to assure that the objectives of the
line/area are met, and give input and recommendations for such
changes by using a Continuous Improvement mindset.
- Mars Supply Excellence - Lead or participate in one or more MSE
Pillars; Lead and support the implementation of Autonomous
Maintenance (AM) and Autonomous Work Teams (AWTs) in area of
responsibility; Lead key connection points and own reliability data
- Area Ownership - Collaborate with the rest of the Area
Leadership Team (Area Manager or Continuous Improvement Engineer,
Continuous Improvement Specialist, Maintenance Coordinator) to
create and execute the reliability strategy for area of
- Coaching - Coach operators to build their functional and
leadership capabilities and to drive accountability in safety,
Quality and Food Safety, Autonomous Maintenance, and team
- Line Operations - Coordinate materials, staffing and resources
to support line operation and changeovers.
- Standards Implementation and Adherence - Ensure standards are
implemented on shift and in area of responsibility through
effective communication, change management, consistent
reinforcement, and through coaching, guidance, and accountability
- Associate Safety - Ensure safe working conditions as well as
safe behaviors and mindsets through the direct implementation of
Mars Safety programs and through driving a relentless focus among
team of operators.
- Food Safety and Product Quality - Ensure the ongoing production
of safe and defect free products consistent with the principles of
Mars. HACCP proficiency is required; this manager owns ongoing
training and championing of quality goals and improvements at the
Area Shift level.
- Associate Advocacy - Manage associate relations issues and
guide and direct the hiring, training, retraining, development and
motivation of Operations associates following self-managed, team
working principles with a minimum degree of guidance from the Area
Manager or Value Stream Manager.
- Engagement - Responsible for facilitating and driving an
environment of high associate engagement on the team.
- Goal Setting and Measurement - With the general guidance of the
Value Stream or Area Manager, and/or the support of the Continuous
Improvement Engineer, establish line and individual performance
standards and goals, and measure, control, take corrective action
and report results as appropriate.
- Troubleshooting - Utilize the technical resources on shift for
the preventive maintenance, repair and troubleshooting of
process/packaging equipment problems, with the objective of
effectively using these resources to achieve desired performance
- Escalations - Proactively identify risks and opportunities as
well as reactively lead on-shift incident resolution when operators
require additional support. Prioritize, assign resources against
escalated issues, and make decisions to resolve escalated
- Communications - Ensure that open communications are
established and that opportunities to broaden the scope and
responsibility of Operations teams/associates are undertaken.
- Technology Advancement - Advise when opportunities exist for
moving the line/area forward in technological change.
- Operations Strategy - Participate in the implementation of
improvement strategies that will help the line/area perform more
effectively in the near term.
- Recruiting and Onboarding - Responsible for partnering with
Talent Acquisition to recruit and select associates for operations
roles, and responsible to onboard associates effectively.
What are we looking for?
- A Bachelor's degree OR the equivalent experience, defined as
greater than four (4) years of experience in a technical
manufacturing continuous improvement environment, along with a High
School Diploma required.
- Experience and demonstrated capability in leading others.
- Previous direct people leadership experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
- Ability to convey communications clearly and concisely.
- Understanding of major functions within the plant and the
ability to work directly with all levels and functions.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, etc),
internet software, e-mail.
- Ability to succeed in an ambiguous environment.
- Functional knowledge and understanding of HACCP concepts.
- Experience in plant sanitation practices and procedures.
- Ability to deliver critical performance feedback and hold
associates accountable to business objectives.
- Champion of safety with OSHA experience or certification
What can you expect from Mars?
- The opportunity to learn, develop and take charge of your own
- An industry competitive compensation and benefits package.
- The opportunity to work cross functionally, add value and
impact a better world for generations to come.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or
any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance
or an accommodation during the application process because of a
disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to
provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a
result of such a request.
Keywords: Mars, Newark , Production Leader - Hackettstown (Hackettstown, NJ, US, 07840), Other , Hackettstown, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!