Director of Software Development
Posted on: June 22, 2022
Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that
means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because
the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also
happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
This opportunity is for a Director of Software Development who will
manage and grow one or more engineering teams for Audible's
Consumer Domain group. We are embarking on a mission to reshape the
fundamental experiences and delight our global customers and drive
a strong engineering culture. It's our responsibility to push
Audible into new places; wherever our customers are listening.
Achieving this vision means expanding and strengthening our
development process, how we work and leveraging new technologies to
deliver services and web applications. We need your help to develop
and deliver on this global vision. Success means we lay the
foundation for continued expansion of our company without
disrupting an already tremendously successful and much loved
ABOUT THE TEAM
This is a brand new team charged with building and supporting
Audible's shared client architecture. This team will provide common
services that will be used across multiple client technologies to
support a variety of components and functions. This team will also
support core infrastructure and common features as well as provide
facilities to increase the scalability, resilience and flexibility
of existing and new client functionality.
As a Director of Software Development, you will...
- Own and lead full life cycle delivery of cross functional
projects spanning teams across Audible and Amazon.
- Drive development and operational excellence of our flagship
- Coach and mentor our high-performing engineers to help them
grow their skills, enhance their knowledge of our systems and their
ability to get things done.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to imagine, design,
develop, test, and launch software that wows our community and
inspires our peers.
- Constantly strive to raise the bar on delivery performance and
quality in a fast agile environment.
- Lead 1-2 Scrum teams.BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
- 7+ years of experience working directly within engineering
- Experience partnering with product OR program management
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing
- 3+ years of experience architecting and designing
(architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and
Experience leading full stack development web teams.
- 5+ years experience of software development and deployment of
distributed multi-tier applications.
- 3+ years experience managing agile software projects across
multiple and geographically distributed teams.PREFERRED
- Demonstrated expertise in a variety of web and SOA distributed
technologies and platforms such as Java/J2EE.
- Demonstrated experience implementing solutions leveraging AWS
- Past experience leveraging machine learning models to deliver
insights and enrich customer experiences is highly preferred.
- Action-oriented strategic thinker.
- Be able to thrive in an ambiguous environment - where change is
the only constant.
- Detailed oriented to ensure that project success is
- Strong verbal and communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills and an out of the box thinker.
- Self-starter with the ability to multi-task and work in a very
fast paced environment.
- Track record of defining and delivering cross functional
solutions that are innovative and extensible.
- Be able to disagree, yet align, when dealing with different
- Results oriented and with a strong customer focus.
- Highly autonomous. Delivers with little guidance.
- Strong mentor of peers and subordinates.
At Audible, we innovate and inspire through the power of voice.
We're changing the narrative on storytelling. As a leading creator
and provider of premium audio storytelling, we've redefined the
ways people access, discover, and share stories. The stories we
tell have the ability to transport and transform everyday moments
into meaningful experiences and it's our people who make Audible's
service possible. We're listeners, storytellers, and
problem-solvers. Our perspectives and experiences power our ideas
and come together in our mission to unleash the power of the spoken
Audible is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Audible
is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the
basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual
orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other
legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who
would like to request an accommodation, please visit
Keywords: Audible, Newark , Director of Software Development, IT / Software / Systems , Newark, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!