Geographic Information Systems Engineer
Posted on: January 15, 2021
Project, Associate Technology Engineer (GIS - Geographic
Location:--Newark, NJ, US Company:--PSEG Requisition ID:--64753--
Job Function/Category:--Information Technology-- Employment
Type:--Exempt Full Time--
COMPANYThis is an exciting time to be joining PSEG. Our
commitments, which include safety, integrity, customer focus, and
diversity & inclusion, are the fabric of our culture and help drive
the success of our business. We are fortunate to have an
outstanding workforce of diverse and highly skilled talent who move
us forward in our operational excellence journey.--PSEG has more
than 12,000 employees who are dedicated to the communities we serve
and embody our vision: People providing Safe, Reliable, Economic
and Greener Energy.--Job SummaryThis is a "Project" position
designed to support project work for a limited duration. While the
exact duration of the project is yet to be determined, we currently
anticipate a period of 3-5 years based on business needs at the
present time following which you will separate from the Company. It
is important for you to understand that this period may be
shortened based on business needs in the future, at which point you
will separate from the Company. It is also important for you to
understand that this employment is of a limited duration and that
you will not be entitled to separation benefits under any PSEG plan
at the time you separate from the Company. Director Level approval
and waiver will be required for you to bid on other PSEG
opportunities within the first 3 years of assignment. From year 4
through the end of your assignment, Director level approval and
waiver will not be required. If your assignment ends prior to the
anticipated timeframe based on business needs, you will be allowed
to bid on other PSEG opportunities without Director level approval
from the time you are notified your assignment will be ending
through the end date of the assignment.
The Technology Engineer is a direct report to the Technology Group
Product Manager with understanding of business goals, business
processes, and technology expertise in one or more domains,
technology solution design and implementation.The Technology
Engineer is involved in the full technology life cycle and
responsible for designing, coding, configuring, testing,
implementing and supporting software, hardware and systems.
Technology Engineers work closely with Analysts and Product
Managers to understand the business requirements that drive the
analysis and physical design of technical solutions. Technology
Engineers may be assigned to either implementation or support
functions. Implementation involves creating new technology based
solutions whereas support involves upgrades, maintenance or issue
resolution to existing technology solutions. Job
- Analyzes end-user needs and designs, configures, develops and
tests technology solutions to satisfy demand. Performs build versus
buy analysis for business demand.----The work required may include
various levels of complexity and business impact.
- Partners with business analysts to translate business
requirements to technology solution requirements.
- Evaluates existing technology solutions and platforms and
provides recommendations for improving technology performance by
conducting gap analysis, identifying feasible alternative
solutions, and assisting in the scope of needed modifications.
- Creates process flowcharts, diagrams, drawings and other
related documentation.----Creates technical workflows using
different modeling techniques.
- Collaborates with all stakeholders such as enterprise
architects, software development, operations, cybersecurity and
infrastructure to integrate applications and hardware.
- Ensures that the design and technology solution implementation
meets security and QA standards. Suggests fixes to issues by doing
a thorough analysis of root cause and impact of any defect(s).
- Analyzes various reports to ensure that the functionality and
performance meets all product and service level requirements.
- Creates technology solutions based on a disciplined
process.----Works on tasks that require skills in multiple
technical environments and knowledge of a specific business
- Conducts design and change record peer reviews in support of
upcoming changes.----Peer reviews may be required as part of
contractual obligation in cases when the content subject to peer
review is completed and submitted by an outside party.
- Provides support toward resolution of escalated support
tickets. Applies operation break fixes and performs other proactive
maintenance activities until permanent solutions can be
implemented. Supports and participates in the solution deployment
process for new functionality/subsystems/modules, upgrades, updates
and fixes to the production environment.
- Documents capabilities and any changes to new or existing
components and associated test activities and test results.
- Makes solutions and solution parts production-ready by
following the standard change management processes, completing
required forms, following procedures, completing version control
- Performing geospatial analysis, supporting all ArcGIS based
products including ESRI Web Apps, ArcGIS Online, ArcGIS Portal,
Collector, Survey123 and the ArcGIS product suite.--
- Partner with team members in establishing policy as to how the
systems and the data provided by them, are to be used to support
GIS goals and to extract the maximum value of GIS.
- Identify and develop new solutions as well as develop updates
to existing products in the product line
- Perform various GIS backend processes including bulk data
- Perform various GIS maintenance processes including schema
changes, map and data requests, and product configuration
- GIS application support including GIS Viewers, editor
environment, mobile (MIMS - mobile inspection application and
Locusview --- material traceability application), Web apps, Mobile
surveys (Survey123), and GIS Design
- Provide specific contributions as directed by Product
- Travel to various electric and gas operating locations will be
- Support the 24x7 operation of the GIS system.
Job Specific Qualifications
- Bachelor---s degree in Computer Science or a related field
- 2-4 years of professional technology solution engineering
- Demonstrated technology solution ownership and adoption,
projects or other work experiences.
- Participates in analysis of end-user needs and designs.--May
configure, develop and test low to medium complexity technology
solutions to satisfy demand.--Gathers information to aid build
versus buy analysis for business demand.--
- Partners with business analysts to translate business
requirements to technology solution requirements of mostly low
complexity technology solutions.
- Demonstrated track record of implementing technology solutions
using structured methodologies such as agile (SCRUM, Kanban etc.)
- Experience documenting technical solutions or business and
system process flow techniques using applicable methods such as
engineering drawings, UML (e.g. Use Case Diagrams, Activity
Diagrams, Entity Relationship Diagrams) etc.
- Ability to create both technical and non-technical end-user
- Ability to work independently and multi-task effectively.
- Demonstrated understanding of projects from the perspective of
client/user, business, cyber security and technology day to day
- Flexible and willing to accept a change in priorities as
- Strong analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to learn new business and technical concepts.
- Strong oral and written communication skills,
- Good facilitation skills,
- Strong judgment and management skills,
- Leadership, technical teamwork and interpersonal skills,
- Ability to foster working relationships with the team, IT
Management and Client departments,
- Understanding of technology architecture, technology platforms
and ability to explain technical concepts to the business users in
the context of business requirements.
- Ability to define metrics that measure success of the
technology solution in addressing business and technical
requirements as well as achieving the desired outcomes.
- Working knowledge of specific area including business process
configuration and execution for assigned domains.
- Bachelor---s degree in Geography, GIS, Information Technology,
Computer Science or Computer--Engineering with 2+ years of GIS
- Graduate degree or MBA.--
- Knowledge of ESRI GIS including but not limited to - ArcMap,
ArcCatalog, ArcGIS Pro, Collector, Survey123, ArcGIS Online,
Portal, ArcGIS Server and all extensions.--
- Database Administrative experience (SQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL,
- Knowledge of querying and scripting languages, including but
- Experience with public cloud providers and AWS suite of
- Experience implementing off the shelf products
- Experience with mission critical technology solutions
- Understanding financial principles as they apply to technology
investments such as cost to achieve, cost to operate, depreciation,
Keywords: PSEG, Newark , Geographic Information Systems Engineer, IT / Software / Systems , Newark, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!