Youth Emergency Shelter Program Director
Company: YMCA of NEWARK
Posted on: May 24, 2023
The YMCA of Newark is seeking a Full Time Program Director for
the Youth Emergency Shelter (YES) Program which offers counseling,
life skills training, and other critical support to teens in crisis
and assists them to get back to school, re-establish family bonds,
and meet their goals. The target population to be served under this
initiative is youth who have been a part of the juvenile justice
system and are court ordered to be placed in a shelter. The Program
Director is responsible for the development, administration and
management of all programs and staff of the Youth Emergency Shelter
program. The individual is expected to ensure high standards of
program quality. Programs shall be conducted in a manner consistent
with established policies and procedures to enable the Association
to achieve its defined goals and objectives. The YMCA's recruitment
process includes comprehensive background screening including
pre-employment drug test and criminal background check and upon
hire, wide range of training.
Summary of Essential Functions:
- Provide direct supervision and leadership to Youth Emergency
- Responsible for the timely recruitment, selection, hiring,
training, scheduling, and performance management of staff within
the established personnel procedures of the Association.
- Develop and implement overall plans, operations and program
activities for Youth Emergency Shelter including the recreational
and food programs.
- Review the program monthly with respect to supplies, food,
vehicles, and telephone usage.
- Ensure adequate health maintenance for all youth to include
initial medical and dental examinations and other necessary medical
treatments as well as the dispensing of necessary medications.
Assure necessary medical follow-up is completed and logged
- Complete Youth Emergency Shelter Curriculum development and
implement as part of the Treatment Plan.
- Transport youth as needed to events, medical appointments, etc.
in accordance with Newark YMCA Transportation Policy.
- Ensure that the Emergency Youth Shelter is a safe, clean, and
- Prepare and maintain budgets for the program and monitor all
expenditures to stay within the program budget according to the
established Financial procedures of the Association.
- Assist in developing the annual operating plans that reinforce
the Associations overall Mission and Goals.
- Develop community support for youth and utilize normalization
principles in guiding them toward healthy independent living.
- Collaborate and represent the Newark YMCA Youth Emergency
Shelter to community agencies, families, employers, youth, and
relevant groups of individuals.
- Evaluate all programs and services and the progress on the
strategic plan on a regular basis.
- Maintain the necessary standards to comply with all federal,
state, or local licensing requirements to conduct program
- Maintain and prepare required statistical reports necessary for
internal or external reporting for program.
- Process the program staff Payroll according to the established
procedures of the Association.
- Bachelor's degree in Special Education, Psychology, Social
Work, or related field.
- Minimum five years of experience working with at-risk youth or
social services concentration on working with youth.
- Minimum two years of experience in staff management.
- Experience in implementing Individual Service Plans (Individual
assessment, gathering information regarding clients to help them
succeed, plan of action) and age-appropriate Recreation programs
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft (Word, Excel,
Power-point), data entry, utilizing emails and internet.
- Knowledge of federal, state and/or community related
- Knowledge and skills of budgeting and cost control.
- Strong administrative and record maintenance skills.
- Strong human relations and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including
negotiation, presentation skills and the ability to work
effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse
- Excellent time management skills and strong organizational
- Must have strong attention to details.
- Ability to manage, perform and prioritize multiple and complex
tasks and projects independently.
- Ability to analyze complex information and to define and solve
- Flexible work schedule.
- Ability to work on Holidays as needed.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) ability a plus.
- Ability to demonstrate passion, enthusiasm and support for
mission and values of the YMCA.
- Ability to create a culture of serving the population.
- Ability to work closely with other employees and team members
to ensure positive and constructive environment within the program
or department and throughout the agency.
- Flexibility in work schedule when needed, may require evening
and weekend work.
- Must possess a valid New Jersey driver's license and a safe
- Certification in first aid and CPR is desired.
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Employee assistance program
- The YMCA of Newark and Vicinity is an Equal Opportunity
Employer. Upon request, reasonable accommodation is available that
does not create an undue hardship on the Y's business, in
accordance with applicable laws.
Keywords: YMCA of NEWARK, Newark , Youth Emergency Shelter Program Director, Executive , Newark, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...